You are probably enjoying the recent heat of this wonderful Portland summer, and with any luck it is only going to get warmer. While many people’s attention turns to their air conditioning unit during these warmer months, this is actually the perfect season to think about getting any necessary repairs or maintenance performed on your heating system!
Performing preventative furnace maintenance is cheaper and much less stressful than trying to repair your unit in the freezing, wet Portland winter. The downtime alone can make for an uncomfortable, unhappy household! Take a break from the heat to check a few things on your furnace while it’s most convenient for everyone.
- It may seem obvious, but make sure your heat turns on and off with your thermostat.
- When you’re sure that the thermostat is turning your heat on and off, check the temperature at the air registers (small grates where heat comes out) and air return (larger grate, usually in a hallway) to make sure the thermostat is accurate.
- Keep your thermostat clean. If you have an older thermostat, make sure it is level as many operate off of liquid mercury switches.
- Your furnace door will have a safety switch that pops out when the door is removed; make sure this is working and is unobstructed.
- Check the condition of all visible wiring. Watch for loose or scorched wires.
- Carefully check any venting or ducting for rust and gaps; these components wear out over time.
While most Portland homeowners are capable of keeping heating components clean and checking for blowing heat, some of these tasks are best left up to the pros. If you discover any of these issues with your furnace, it is time to give Sunset Heating & Cooling a call at 503.234.0611. Just be sure to act sooner than later so that you aren’t caught unprepared when the cold air blows in!